THE DOWNWIND WEEK AND THE OCEAN CROSSING FROM SAL TO BOAVISTA
A unique event every Kitesurfer should cross off it´s bucket list! Are you interested in joining us ?
A true adventure for skilled kitesurfers
The DOWNWIND WEEK is a full service kitesurfing holiday that includes the famous crossing from Sal to BoaVista.
Here you can register for the whole week program or only for the crossing. The itenary below is an example and depends a lot on the weather conditions and directions of swell.
+ THE DOWNWIND WEEK IN DETAIL
DAY 0 ARRIVAL
On your arrival we pick you up from the Airport, show you around and on the first evening we have dinner with all the riders at Morabeza Beach, the number one location on BoaVista. Here we get to know eachother, plan the program for the week and enjoy the no stress lifestyle the Cape Verdean Islands are famous for. The base of our Week is the Planet Allsports Center at Praia Estoril, here we store our equipment and have acess to all the facilities like restaurant, showers, rescue service and equipment rental.
"From strangers to friends we go on this journey as one"
Day 1 - CAVES OF VARANDINHA The first downwinder of the week is from Sal Rei to Varandhina, about 25km, easy and lots of fun. Flatwater in the beginning and great waves at the end. We organize Lunch on the beach and relax in the late afternoon with a sup session at the planet center, chess on the beach, caipirinhas watching the sunset or whatever else you fancy to do.
Day 2 ONSHORE DELUXE We are heading to Capo Santa Maria, a great onshore spot with lots of kickers and super-steady winds. After some playtime in the white-water and lunch we start our downwind around Ponta do Sol and head down to Sal Rei. In the evening there´s the legendary BBQ at the Planet Center.
Day 3 A HIDDEN TREASURE In the early morning we drive to a secret wave-spot. After Lunch we start the most beautiful downwinder from there to LaCacao along the endless beach of the south side of the Island.
Day 4 TRANSFER TO SAL In the morning we leave to Sal Island (50km linear distance) by boat if you are seaworthy or by plane. We arrive there around at midday, check in to the Hotel and go Kiting at famous Ponta Preta and Kitebeach. In the evening we have the mandatory safety meeting for the ocean crossing at the hotspot 32 Capo Verde with dinner and drinks.
Day 5 - THE KITE DOWNWIND FROM SAL TO BOAVISTA Its the big day! In the early morning we will be the first ones at Kitebeach at the Center of Mitu preparing our equipment. Around 09.00 we will leave, direction BoaVista, 75km trough the Atlantic Ocean. A journey of 3 hours followed by a number of safety boats. A once in a lifetime experience. On our arrival crowds are waiting for us on the beach and we will celebrate till late in the night.
Day 6 THE BAY OF HAPPINESS After a slow morning we head to the flatwater bay Ponta Antonia and enjoy the rest of our day there. In the evening we will visit the Wakan Bar for the best cocktails in town and have dinner at the famous container restaurant at the Pontao of Sal Rei. Here we also decide our program for Day 7.
Day 7 NO STRESS Program as decided the day before.
+ WHATS INCLUDED ?
- We help you finding a flight to BoaVista from all around the world
- Trough our partners we find the best accomodation for you at special rates
- Aiport Pick up
- Welcome Dinner at Morabeza
- Kite storage, rescue service and SUP Rental at the Planet Allsports Center.
- Special rates for equipment hire available
- 5 Downwind full day Trips inc. transport guided by Ulrich Frank the founder of the ocean crossing and the local pro´s Sean Guy and Romilson de Jesus
- Chilled drinking water during the day
- BBQ Evening at the Planet Allsports Center
- Boat or Plane Transfer to Sal and one night in shared room inc. breakfast.
- Guided Kitesession at KiteBeach or Ponta Preta on Sal
- Mandatory Safety Meeting in 32Capo Verde including drinks and snacks the day before the Downwind
- The Ocean Crossing from Sal to BoaVista inc. event Lycra, support boats, lunch, dinner and afterparty in Morabeza.
- Dinner at "Te Manche" a famous local restaurant at the pontao of Sal Rei
- 24 hours support on the Island
+ WHATS NOT INCLUDED ?
- Return - Ticket to BoaVista (ca.500€)
- Accomodation (ca.300€)
- Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner (unless specified otherwise above)
- We organise the meals as a group of friends. During the downwind trips we usually get some food in the morning from the bakery to have lunch on the beach
- Insurance ( You must have a valid travel and third party insurance)
+ TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Download the Terms and requirements to participate here.
THE DOWNWIND WEEK
INCLUDING THE DOWNWIND FROM SAL TO BOAVISTA
DOWNWIND SAL TO BOAVISTA
All profits of the Kite Downwind from Sal to BoaVista go towards a local kindergarten. Read more about it here.